Adventures in Crunchy Christian Parenting

Saturday, November 18, 2006

It's Been a Hard Day's Night

Presley's been a little under the weather this past week and that all came to a head at 3am Friday morning. She woke up screaming and coughing and basically gasping for air. I ran down stairs to check her temperature which was 103.2.

I woke the rest of the fam up and we took a delightful little trip to the Lockney ER. When we got there her pulse ox. levels were at 96 (they should be 98 at the min.) and her temp was still holding strong at 103. They gave her a shot of steroids to open her lungs. It was her first shot ever, poor baby. :( They also gave her an oral steroid and set us up in a room w/a vaporizer. We stayed in there for about an hour and then they sent us home.

By the time we got home (6:30ish) she was sounding pretty bad so Kevin set up two vaporizers in the guest bedroom and Presley and I hung out in there for a few hours while the men folk took a nap.

I ended up taking her to PRHC because I was really not pleased w/the lack of diagnosis/medicine given to us in Lockney. The NP at PRHC gave her a breathing treatment and sent us home with 2 oral steroids, an antibiotic (she's got an ear infection too), and a heavy duty decongestant.

After spending 2 hours at Wal-Mart waiting for her medicine, we finally made it back home. My dear friend Liza picked up Caedmon and braved the park all alone with a 7 year old, two 5 year olds, a 3 year old and an 18 month old. She's my hero.

So finally at 3pm, after being awake for 12 hours, I took a nap...for an hour.

Everything after that is a blur. Having a kid on steroids sucks. I should know, I've had my fair share. There is no sleep, there is no down time, there isn't even any smiling. My poor kid is wired, exhausted, and miserable. Her eyes are dilated, her cheeks are red, and she's shaking like a crack addict who needs a fix.

Pray for her. And us.

Comments:

<$CommentAuthorSaid$>

Praying for you all!!!

7:23 AM

 
<$CommentAuthorSaid$>

yes, praying.... poor little baby.... that totally stinks for real. praying for rest for her and you and kevin... and for her to recover quickly...

9:40 PM

 
<$CommentAuthorSaid$>

yuck. I pray every day (well...not every day, but every time I think of it) that the first emergency will never come, and if it does that I will be able to handle it well. Sounds like you did just that (handled it well).

hugs and a word with God on your babe's behalf.

7:16 AM

 
<$CommentAuthorSaid$>

That "heavy duty decongestant" will make her wired for sure. Can we say "Sudafed?"

Be sure to give it early enough in the day for it to wear off some by night! I hate Sudafed.

8:09 PM

 
<$CommentAuthorSaid$>

Sounds hectic! God bless and protect your family.
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

7:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< <$BlogItemHome$>